John Bokma Weta from New Zealand
freelance Perl programmer

Comments: Weta from New Zealand

When I lived in New Zealand I had a weta as "pet" for some weeks. Based on the books I read, I guessed that it was a female Auckland tree weta (Hemideina thoracica). This weta is nocturnal, meaning it is awake during the night.

Read the rest of Weta from New Zealand.

Yep, that definately looks like a female. She's so cute! I don't understand how people think they're ugly either.

I just found 12 tree wetas in my back yard today, hiding in little holes in the fence. None of them looked like they had ovipositors though, which confused me. I don't know why so many males would be hanging around so close together.

It's almost midnight here, and I just decided to go take a look outside and see if they'd moved since I read they're nocturnal. Only one of them was still on the fence, and it had come out of it's hole. Then I heard a sound in the roses above me which I think had to be the other wetas doing that thing they do with their hind legs. So that was nice. And then I heard a Morepork calling, which was lovely :D ... and then I nearly walked into a spider web that had a very large spider right in the middle of it, so I figured it was about time I went back inside again. hehe.

Posted by Fedishi at 11:02 GMT on 6 February 2006

Fedishi - With crickets the ovipositor shows only when they are (almost?) adult. So I guess that you have seen juvenile weta.

Posted by John Bokma at 16:54 GMT on 6 February 2006

Ok, I was wrong. They are famales after all. Once I borrowed my dads digital camera I took a photo from the entrance of the hole one of them was hiding in and it did have an ovipostior after all. I could get the camera closer to the hole than I could go because there was a branch in my way. So they must all be this guys females Isn't he lucky :D

Posted by Fedishi at 10:02 GMT on 8 February 2006

I hope you can help me. My name is Dustin Plotts and I am 14 years old. I go to Calvert High School her in the United States and I am doing research on the Tuatara. I have to create a Biome and I need to buy some plastic animals. I have found some plastic Tuatara but I can't find any plastic weta shapes. Would you have any idea where I could buy them from in your area?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted by Dusty at 16:57 GMT on 20 September 2006

Hi Dusty,

I have no idea if you can buy weta toys in the United States. Maybe the closest you can get is buying plastic crickets and paint them to look a bit more like weta.

Posted by John Bokma at 03:34 GMT on 23 September 2006

I've caught a weta in our back yard in Auckland (we have a small bush area) and I want to keep it - alive - to show some children on Saturday morning - I run a kids club. I've got it in an old fish tank at the moment with some places to hide. But I don't know what to feed it - and does it need water etc.? Any advice would be great. It will be released on Sat afternoon. Thanks, Kaye

Posted by Kaye at 08:05 GMT on 4 March 2009

Kaye, from the top of my head: uncooked carrot and apple. As for water: I recommend to use a bottle cap with some water, and spray a part of the fish tank regularly.

Posted by John Bokma at 20:20 GMT on 10 March 2009

so, This is what Bear grylls ate.

Posted by fear pills. at 20:03 GMT on 2 March 2011

Note that your comment doesn't show up immediately. I review each comment before I add it to this site.

Check the Follow this page option if you want to receive an email each time a comment is posted to this page, including yours. A link to turn this option off will be included with each email.

Internet adresses will be converted automatically. You can use the following notation to specify anchor text for a link: [url=]example text[/url].